English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Over

Early-attested site in the Parish of Moreton Say

Historical Forms

  • Oure 1199 Ch 1265
  • nemus quod vocature Overe c.1243 Lil
  • Over 1253–5 Lil
  • villa de Overe 1265 Lil

Etymology

Over (lost), Oure 1199 (1265) Ch, nemus quod vocature Overe c.1243 Lil, Over 1253–5 Lil, villa de Overe 1265 Lil. The bounds of the wood called Over , as set out in a grant of c.1243, begin at Bletchley mill, for which v. f.ns. infra ; and it is clear that the wood lay by Bailey Brook.The name probably refers to a low, flat-topped ridge of the sort regularly referred to by the term *ofer , for which v. LPN 199–203 and CDEPN xlvii.