English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Huglith

Early-attested site in the Parish of Church Pulverbatch

Historical Forms

  • Hughelith a.1244 HAC
  • Huggelith' 1291-2 Ass
  • Huggelith 1314 BM 1342 Cl
  • Hagelith' 1291-2 Ass
  • Hockelyth 1292 Ipm
  • Hoglith 1453 SBL7070
  • Huglyth 1715 SBL6900

Etymology

The second element is hlið, used in He and Sa for hills with a large concavity. Huglith Fm lies in a deep recess in a semi-circle of high ground, the two peaks of which are Huglith Hill and Lawn Hill. Huglith is a wood in most early references, but it was a habitation site in 1291-2Ass . The present farm was formed in the late 16th-cent. (VCH VIII133), so it is not certain to be on an ancient site; but the great hollow in which it lies would be a likely settlement-site at an earlier period.

The first element is identical with that of the names Higford (earlier Hug (g )eford ) and Highley (earlier Hug (g )eleye ), which are discussed in Part 1. Ekwall's suggestion of a pers.n. *Hugga offers the likeliest explanation. Dodgson, PN Ch 5 xiv-xv, however, lists a number of minor names and field-names in Ch which have Hugge - and suggests an OE  *hucg , *hycg meaning 'hill, mound'.