English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Lipley

Early-attested site in the Parish of Cheswardine

Historical Forms

  • Lipley Heath 1635,1701 GT

Etymology

Lipley (SJ 740310). The only early reference found to this name is Lipley Heath 1635, 1701 GT. Lipley Fm and Lipleyhall Fm are N. and S. of the roadside houses called Lipley on the 1963 1″ map. On 1833 OS the name Lipley is given to Lipleyhall Fm, and Lipley Heath is shown as an area in Great Soudley. Lipley Fm and Lipley Heath are a mile apart.It seems likely that Lipley was an ancient land-unit in spite of there being no available record before 1635. The adjacent settlement called Doley, just in St, is not noted till 1833 OS (ex inf. Dr D. Horovitz), but both should probably be considered as ancient names in lēah .