English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Wrockwardine

Parish in the County of Shropshire

Historical Forms

  • Recordine 1086 DB
  • Recordina 1121 SAC
  • Rocordina 1138 SAC
  • Rockardyne 1316 Strange
  • Recordyne, Rocordyn 1535 VE
  • Rokerden 1547 Pat
  • Rockerdyne 1597 PR(L)
  • Rockerdine 1628 PR(L)
  • Rokerdyne 1581 PR(L)
  • Rockardine 1655 SAS1/XLVII 1682 PR(L) 1737 PR(L)
  • Rockerdine 1698 PR(H) 1732 PR(L)
  • Werocordina c.1090 SAC
  • Worocordina 1155 SAC
  • Wrocword c.1138 SAC
  • Wrocwordina c.1155 SAC
  • Wrocwrði 1202,3 P
  • Wrocwardy 1291-2 Ass
  • Wrokewurdin 1175 P
  • Wrockewurthin c.1176 CartAntiq
  • Wro(c) kewrthyn 1255-6 Ass
  • Wrockewardyn 1336 Ipm
  • Wrokewardyn 1362 Pat
  • Wroke Warden 1553 Pat
  • Wrowurdin 1195,1200 P
  • Wrowrðin 1204 P
  • Wrogwardyn 1443 Cl
  • Rock(e) wardyne 1549 Pat
  • Rokewarden 1553 Pat 1554 SBL4528
  • Rockwardyne 1672 HTR 1796 PR(L)
  • Rocadyne 1577 Saxton
  • Rocadine 1690 PR(L)
  • Rockadine 1661 PR(H) 1679 PRShifnal
  • Wrockerdyne 1602 PR(L) 1658 SBL5658
  • Wrockardine 1651 SBL6315 1687 PRShifnal
  • Wrockadine 1666 PR(L) 1689 PRShifnal
  • Wrockwardyn 1284-5 FA

Etymology

'Enclosed settlement by The Wrekin', second element worðign. The name Wrekin is discussed under Wroxeter infra . As frequently in Shropshire, a long form of the name has prevailed, though simplified forms are evidenced from 1086 to the 18th cent.The modern form appears early, in Wrockwardyn 1284-5 FA. The precise spelling Wrockwardine is first noted 1616 PR(L) 8.

The area treated here is that shown as belonging to Wrockwardine on the 1963 OS Diagram of Shropshire. This differs from the map in VCH XI p. 307 (here reproduced as Map 4) in including the small rectangle of Walcot township, S.W. of Allscott. Walcot was a detached portion of the ancient parish of Wellington which was transferred to Wrockwardine civil parish in 1883–4. It has its own TA as a township of Wellington.The ancient parish of Wrockwardine contained the townships of Admaston, Allscott, Bratton, Charlton, Cluddley, Leaton, Long Lane and Wrockwardine, together with what VCH XI 306 calls “the capital messuages of Burcot and Orleton, and the deserted settlement and former township of Nash”. There was also a detached township, Wrockwardine Wood, here treated as part of the civil parish of Oakengates.

Major Settlements