English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Tugford

Parish in the County of Shropshire

Historical Forms

  • Dodefort 1086 DB
  • Tugafort c.1090,1138 SAC
  • Tugafordia c.1138 SAC
  • Tugaford 1155 SAC
  • Tugeford 1274 RH c.1291 TN
  • Tugefort 1563 SBL7146
  • Tuggeford c.1143 SAC l.14th SAC
  • Taggeford 1284-5 FA
  • Toggeford' 1291-2 Ass
  • Toggeford c.1291 TN
  • Togeford' 1306-7 Ass
  • Tugford 1500 Ipm
  • Tuckford 1732 PR(H) 1766 PRChetton

Etymology

'Tucga's ford'. The personal name, which is not on record, is presumed to occur also in Tughall Nb. The village is situated on a tributary of the R. Corve.

There were two settlements, probably adjacet. Entries in 1271-2Ass refer to Tuggeford et alia Tuggeford and to Magna Tuggeford ; 1291-2Ass has Chyrch ' Tuggeford et alia Toggeford '; Parva Tuggeford ' occurs c.1275 SAC. In 1563SBL 7146 the two places are Tugefort Superior and Inferior . The 19th-cent. OS map shows Upper House and Lower House on the N. and S. edges of the village.

The area treated here is that of the pre-1967 civil parish, before it was enlarged by the addition of most of Holdgate and a small part of Munslow. The area has since been absorbed by Abdon: v. VCH X180. All references to VCH are to Vol. X.

Places in this Parish

Field