English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Shipton

Parish in the County of Shropshire

Historical Forms

  • Scipetune 1086 DB
  • Sip(p)ton 1255 RH
  • Sibton, Sipton, Supton 1271-2 Ass
  • Schipton' 1255-6 Ass
  • Shipton' 1271-2 Ass
  • Schypton 1283 Pat
  • Schipton 1287 Cl
  • Parvum Scopton' 1271-2 Ass
  • Shupton 1360 Cl
  • Shepton 1607,14 PR(H)

Etymology

'Sheep estate', a name which, like Shipley, occurs in a number of counties.

Modern maps show only one settlement, in spite of the 1271-2 reference to 'Little Shipton'.

The parish comprised the townships of Shipton and Larden, and also part of Brockton, the northern portion of which was in Stanton Long. A detached unit, Skimblescott, has been treated under Monkhopton supra .

Major Settlements