English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Pitchford

Parish in the County of Shropshire

Historical Forms

  • Piceford 1086 DB
  • Pichefort 1160-72 HAC
  • Picheford 1194 P 1583 SBL15759
  • Piccheford 1235-6 Fees
  • Piccheford' 1252 Cl
  • Pyccheford 1285 Pat 1312 Cl
  • Pikeford 1177 P
  • Pichford 1189 CartAntiq 1577 Saxton
  • Picford 1242 Fees 1274 RH
  • Pichesford 1203 P
  • Pygford' 1261-2 ForProc
  • Pechford' 1271-2 Ass
  • Pecheford 1488 Ipm
  • Pitcheforde 1579 Eyton
  • Pitchford 1593 SBL6713

Etymology

'Pitch ford'. There is a pitch well 250 yards N.E. of Pitchford Hall (VCH VIII, p. 116), and the road from Shrewsbury used to cross the Row Brook near this well. It was diverted eastwards in 1833. The G.R. given above is for the Hall. The village of Pitchford is ¼-½ mile S. of this, and there is a farm called Little Pitchford ½ mile N.