English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Moreton Say

Parish in the County of Shropshire

Historical Forms

  • Mortune 1086 DB 1719 PR(L)
  • Morton' de Say 1255 RH
  • Morton Say 1284-5 FA 1336 Ipm 1389 Cl
  • Morton Se 1601 PR(L)
  • Sea 1660 1707 SBL5335
  • Morton Sey al Morton Sew 1696 SBL4992
  • Morton Sey 1713 PR(L)
  • Mourton Say 1349 Ipm
  • Moreton Say 1394 Cl 1744 PR(L)
  • Moreton 1577 Saxton
  • Moreton Sea 1655 SAS1/XLVII 1834 SBL5652
  • Moreton Sey 1708,12 PR(L)
  • Morton' de Say 1255 RH

Etymology

The village lies among the headwaters of the R. Duckow, and there would be an area of meadow where the streams unite.The affix is from the family of Robert de Say , who had a tenancy in Morton ' de Say in 1255 RH. Sea would be an acceptable spelling-variant for Say in the 17th and 18th centuries.

The parish contains the townships of Bletchley, Longford, Longslow, Moreton Say, Shavington, and Styche and Woodlands. The Foxall TAMap does not show township boundaries but these can be recovered from the Index to Tithe map. Shavington has its own TA as a detached portion of Adderley; it was transferred to Moreton Say in 1883.Longslow, which was transferred to Moreton Say in 1914, is included in Market Drayton TA .

Major Settlements