Parish in the County of Shropshire
- Mortone 1086 DB 1719 PR(L)
- Morton' Corbet 1255-6 Ass
- Mortoncorbet 1577 Saxton
- Moorton' 1334 SBL5413
- Moorton SBL 5415, Mourton 1347 Cl
- Moorton Corbett 1586 SBL7065
- Mourton Corbett 1655 PR(L)
- Moreton 1381 Fine 1398,1476 Cl
- Moreton Corbett 1734 PR(L)
There would be a great deal of meadow by the R. Roden.The Corbet family is frequently mentioned in connection with this estate in the 13th cent. An alternative affix appears 1271-2Ass , (Morton ' Turet ) and 1322 Pat (Morton Teret ); this is from an earlier owner called Toret (VCH I, p. 299).
Besford township, included here, was a detached part of Shawbury parish, and is shown as such on the 1900 OS 6″ map; but it is territorially in Moreton Corbet and most conveniently treated as a division of this parish. The other townships are Moreton and Preston Brockhurst.