English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Monkhopton

Parish in the County of Shropshire

Historical Forms

  • Hopton 1255 RH
  • Hop'ton' Monachorum 1291-2 Ass
  • Hopton Priors 1302 Pat
  • Munkehopton 1577 Saxton
  • Monkehopton 1664 PR(H)
  • Munk Hopton 1697 PR(H)
  • Monk Hopton 1711 PR(H)
  • Munk Hopton 1767 PRDittonPriors

Etymology

'Valley settlement'; other instances of this compound are discussed under Hopton. The present site of Monkhopton, at the mouth of the valley, is more open than is usual for names containing hop. The affixes refer to Wenlock Priory.

The parish of Monkhopton, though loosely classified as “Ancient Parish” in Part 1, only came into existence as a discrete administrative unit between the 1550s and 1642. Its formation is described in VCH X, p. 354. Some of the component units were at one time townships, and Fig. 36 in VCH X shows township boundaries c.1730. There is no distinction between units in the 1842TA , however, and as the area is relatively small it has seemed best to treat the parish as a single entity.The area included is that of the TA with the addition of the hamlet of Skimblescott, which was transferred from Shipton parish in 1883.

Places in this Parish