English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Lilleshall

Parish in the County of Shropshire

Historical Forms

  • Linleshelle 1086 DB
  • Lileshelle Canon' 1167 P
  • Lyleshul 1172 HAC e.14th
  • Lileshull' 1200 Cur 1737 PR(L)
  • Lilishull 1255 RH
  • Lylyshull 1513 AD
  • Lilleshull' 1198 Cur 1660 PRLilleshall
  • Lillushull' 1219 Cur
  • Lylleshull 1245 Cl 1549 Pat
  • Lillushull 1305 Pat
  • Lillesulle 1394 Cl
  • Lyllushill 1494 AD
  • Lillelshull' c.1229 SAC
  • Lulleshull 1230 Cur 1299,1329,47 Cl
  • Lulleshull' 1255-6,71-2,91-2 Ass
  • Lulleshulle 1265 Cl
  • Lolleshul 1268 Cl
  • Lulleshule 1308 Pat
  • Lilshull 1316 FA 1380 Pat
  • Lylselle 1438 Cl
  • Lylsyll 1505,6 AD
  • Lilsell 1608 PR(L)
  • Lillshill 1742 ib
  • Lulshill 1462 Cl
  • Lysley 1535 SBL7180
  • Lincel c.1540 Leland
  • Linshull 1637 PR(L)
  • Linshall 1704 PR(L)
  • Lilleshall alias Linsell 1708 PR(L)
  • Lindsil 1741 ib
  • Lindsill 1741,2,5,9 ib
  • Lindsall 1743 ib
  • Linsill 1747 ib
  • Lineshall 1759 PRShifnal
  • Linsell alias Lilleshull 1773 PR(H)
  • Lillshall 1655 SAS1/XLVII
  • Lylleshall 1673 PR(L)
  • Lilleshall 1684 PR(L)
  • Lillishall 1783 PR(L)

Etymology

'Lill's hill'. second element OE  hyll, first element a personal name. The boundary survey of the neighbouring estate of Church Aston in a charter of A.D. 963 mentions Lilsætna gemære 'boundary of the Lilleshall people'.

There was a local form Linshull , Linshall which developed a parasitic -d - and became Lindsill , Lindsall . The Lins - form, in which the first -l - had been dissimilated to -n -, was probably heard by Leland, causing him to write Lincel in his travel notes. The change from -hill or -hull to -hall is shown by the spellings to be 17th-cent. There was a disyllabic form (Lilshull , Lylsyll , Lillshill ) in the 14th - 18th centuries, but the modern pronunciation is trisyllabic.

The parish contains the four ancient settlements of Donnington, Honnington, Lilleshall and Muxton, which are clustered together in the central part of its area. There appears to be no record of township divisions, though VCH XI 150 notes that Honnington was sometimes accounted a separate township. There is no TA , and it is not practicable to attempt any reconstruction of internal boundaries. Field-names have been taken from Mr Foxall' s map of the parish in 1813, based on a map and survey of the Marquis of Stafford's estates, and this is referred to as 1813Map . It includes a small area in the S.W. which the 1901 6″ map shows as a separate parish, St George's, for which v. Pain's Lane infra .St George's is part of Oakengates on OS maps of civil parishes, but the few 1813 field-names have been included here. The industrial area in the S.W. of the parish was included in Telford New Town in 1968.

Places in this Parish

Field