English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Heath

Parish in the County of Shropshire

Historical Forms

  • La Hethe 1255 RH 1295 Ipm
  • Hethe 1271-2 Ass 1562-3 SBL7146
  • Hethe iuxta Hol(e)godescastel 1291-2 Ass
  • Heth 1334 Cl
  • Heythe 1347,53,54 Pat 1416 Fine
  • The Heathe 1566 SBL8384
  • Heath 1559-60 Corn.R.O.
  • Heathe 1577 Saxton
  • The Heath 1610 Corn.R.O.
  • Hythe 1416 Fine

Etymology

OE  hǣð 'heath', one of several instances in the country in which this word is used as a simplex name for a settlement which later attained some administrative status. In addition to this place, which was a chapelry of Stoke St. Milborough, Shropshire has several minor names from hǣð.

The estate called La Hethe in the mid 13th century is believed to have been part of Wenlock Priory's manor of Stoke St Milborough in 1096. The 12th-cent. chapel was dependent on Stoke St Milborough church. This chapel served a settlement at the S.W. edge of the heath from which it was named, and the heath occupied the high ground between this settlement and Norncott.