English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Hadley

Parish in the County of Shropshire

Historical Forms

  • Hatleye 1086 DB
  • Hathlegh' 1271-2 ForProc
  • Hedleia c.1138 SAC 14th SBL4402
  • Hetlega 1155 SAC
  • Hethlegh' 1238 Cl
  • Hetleg' 1261-2 ForProc
  • Hetlegh' 13th SBL4393
  • Hadlega 1191 P
  • Haddele 1251 Ch 1363 Cl
  • Heddeleg' 1255-6 Ass
  • Hadelegh' 1291-2 Ass
  • Hadeleye 1325 Ch 1329 Cl
  • Hadeley 1346 FA 1421 Cl
  • Hadeleygh 1421 Cl

Etymology

Heath clearing', v. hǣð , lēah . In other counties this name appears also as Hadleigh, Headey, Heatley, Hedley.

A civil parish of Hadley was formed in 1898; it was formerly part of Wellington.

The civil parish of Hadley was formed in 1898. In the Tithe Awards the townships of Apley, Hadley, Horton and Leegomery, which are dealt with here, are treated as townships of Wellington parish. The area of these four townships is roughly that of the civil parish of Hadley as shown on the 1963 OS diagram of Shropshire, which has been used as the basis for the arrangement of material in this volume. A strip of land on the south boundary of Hadley township, between the railway line and Watling Street, is shown on the TA , so has been included here, as also in the VCH XI account of Hadley. The later boundary is along the railway.

Major Settlements