English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Eyton upon the Weald Moors

Parish in the County of Shropshire

Historical Forms

  • Etone 1086 DB
  • Eton' 1291-2 Ass
  • Eiton 1200 Cur 1255 RH
  • Eyton' 1231 Cl
  • Eyeton 1517 SRO
  • Ayton 1342,9 Pat 1737,40 PR(L)
  • Iton Wilmore 1589 PR(L)

Etymology

This is one of a cluster of names in the Weald Moors which contain ēg; see Buttery. The affix appears in several variants, e.g. Eyton in Wydemore 1255-6Ass , Eton ' sub Wyldemor '1291-2Ass , Eyton super Wildemire 1346 FA, Ayton super le Wildmor 1342 Pat, Eyton of Wyldemor 1346 Pat, Eyton-in -the -Wildmoors 1646 PR(L) 6.

The area dealt with here is that of the civil parish as shown on the OS Diagram of Shropshire, reprinted 1963. This includes areas transferred from Hadley in 1905. The ancient parish, of which an account is given in VCH XI 136, had a detached portion which constituted Hortonwood Township. There were also intermingled lands belonging respectively to Eyton and Wellington. It is not practicable to treat the place-name material in a manner corresponding to the 18th-cent. arrangements. As regards Tithe Awards, there is one for Wappenshall, then a township of Wellington, dated 1841, and one dated 1839 for Eyton Township “in the parishes of Eyton upon the Wildmores and Wellington”. There is no award for an area between the two, which includes Eyton village.