English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Dawley

Parish in the County of Shropshire

Etymology

The parish-name, which means 'woodland clearing associated with Dealla', is discussed in Part 1. There were three townships: Great and Little Dawley and Malinslee. The parish became the central part of the new town of Telford. This originated as Dawley New Town in 1963, but in 1968 it was extended north and renamed Telford after Thomas Telford, 1757–1834, the Scottish civil engineer who was, inter alia , the engineer of the Ellesmere Canal.

Major Settlements