English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Cardington

Parish in the County of Shropshire

Historical Forms

  • Cardintune 1086 DB
  • Cardinton' Templariorum 1170,89 P
  • Kardintona 1185 Templars
  • Kardinton' militum Templi 1190 P
  • Kardinton 1221 Ass
  • Kardinton' 1271-2 ForProc
  • Cardinton 1271-2 Ass 1722 PR(H) 1750 PR(H)
  • Kardenton' 1271-2 Ass
  • Cardynton 1308 Pat
  • Cardenton 1655 PR(L)
  • Carditona 1185 Templars 1577 Saxton
  • Karditona 1185 Templars
  • Cardyton 1327 Pat 1334 SR
  • Kartington' 1200 P
  • Cartinton' 1201 P
  • Cridinton 1243 Pat
  • Kardington' 1271-2 ForProc
  • Cardyngton 1397 Pat 1535
  • Cardington 1559-60 CornR.O.
  • Blackhurst 1612 SRO567/1/110
  • Le Estheye, Le Westheye 1340 SRO2557/2

Etymology

'Estate associated with Card(a)', an -ingtūn name. The personal name is discussed under Cardeston.

The origins of the parish are traced in VCH X, p. 22. It was probably formed in the later 12th cent, from a group of manors which came into the possession of the Knights Templar. In about 1831 the parish contained 10 townships: Broome, Cardington, Chatwall, Comley, Enchmarsh, Gretton, Lydley Hays, Plaish, Holt Preen, Willstone. The present treatment excludes two of these: Gretton because most of it was in Rushbury parish infra , and Lydley Hays because it was treated in Part 2, 158–9, under Longnor parish, to which it was transferred in 1934.Some later adjustments, in 1967, are detailed in the VCH X account.The township boundaries are not shown in the TA . They have been recovered by the authors of VCH X, and it has therefore been possible to present the place-name material under townships. The assignment of field-names near some of the boundaries is conjectural, however.

Major Settlements