English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Benthall

Parish in the County of Shropshire

Historical Forms

  • Benetala 1120 EytonIV,p.134
  • Benethala 1167 P
  • Benethal(e) 1221-2 Ass 1421 Cl
  • Benithal' 1204,5 Cur
  • Benedhal 1255 RH
  • Bendhale 1271-2 Ass
  • Bynthehal' 1271-2 Ass
  • Bentehale 1291-2 Ass
  • Benthale 1271-2,l.13th ForProc 1348 Pat 1363 Cl 1364 Ipm 1416 AD 1421 Cl
  • Benthall 1698 PR(L)
  • Benthull 1741 PR(L)
  • Benthal 1755 ib
  • Bental 1577 Saxton 1734 PR(L)
  • Bentoll 1664 PR(H)
  • Bentall 1670 PR(L)

Etymology

'Bent-grass nook', v. beonet , halh . The spelling on Saxton's map is the earliest to represent the modern pronunciation. The trisyllabic form is the commonest till 1421.

The G.R. given above relates to the church and hamlet called Benthall on the 19th-cent. 1″ map, which lies to the west of the settlement now bearing the name. Here, as at Posenhall a short distance south, very careful local study would be required before suggestions could be made about the nature of the halh .

Benthall ceased to be a civil parish in 1966, when it became part of Barrow. All references to VCH are to Vol. X.