English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Barrow

Parish in the County of Shropshire

Historical Forms

  • Barwa c.1200 ForProc
  • Barewe 1221-2 Ass 1255 RH 1262 Ch 1329 ForProc l.13th
  • Barwe 1261-2 ib
  • Bareuue 1283 Pat 1348
  • Barew 1331 Pat 1348
  • Barowe 1413 Pat
  • Barrowe 1535 VE
  • Barrow 1577 Saxton

Etymology

'Grove', OE  bearu The manner in which bearu is used in place-names suggests that it refers to a wood of limited extent.There are other instances besides the Sa name in which the place is on the outskirts of a heavily wooded area.

Barrow as shown on the 1967 OS Index of Civil Parishes includes Linley, Benthall, Posenhall and Willey, units which were abolished and added to Barrow C.P. in 1966. For the purposes of this volume, however, they are treated as separate parishes, as shown on the 1963 OS Diagram of Shropshire.All references to VCH are to Vol. X.

Places in this Parish