Early-attested site in the Parish of Great Casterton
- Wod(e)heved 1263 For 1272 Ipm 1286 Ass 1364 FF 1370 Cl
- Wod(e)hed(e) 1327 Ipm 1392 AD 1510 LP
- Le Wodehede 1476 Ipm
- Woodhed 1545 Surv
- Woodhead 1695 Map
- Woodhead Wood 1610 Speed
'Headland or eminence with a wood', v. wudu , hēafod . This became the name of a neighbouring medieval manor house, a strongly defended moated site whose earthworks are clearly visible.There appears to have been a village here also: 'Within the parish of Brig Casterton lies Woodhead, formerly a village and chapelry, now only one house and that in ruins', v. Wright 36. Earthworks east of the manor site may well indicate its former position, v. BrownArchSites 13 and MER 17.