Early-attested site in the Parish of Eye and Dunsden
Bishopsland Fm. Cf. Busshoppes land early 17thSurvey . Bishopswood Fm. Cf. Bushopps woode 1589SpecCom , Bysshopps Wood c. 1605Survey , Hockings land called the Byshops woode 1606More .The bishop is the Bishop of Salisbury, who owned Dunsden in 1086. Hockings looks like another occurrence of the element found in Prior Hackins Wood (PN Wa 208–9, Hockings 1544), which may have been a woodland term for a patch of wood where trees have been chopped down.