English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Flawforth Ho

Early-attested site in the Parish of Plumtree

Historical Forms

  • Flaufore c.1150 Thoroton
  • Flawfore 1343 ib
  • Flag(g)eford 1200 Cur
  • Fauflur 1227 Ebor
  • Flayflue 1257 ib
  • Flayeflor 1266 ib
  • Flauflour 1280,1297 ib
  • Flauflor 1301 ib
  • Flaforth 1458 Inqaqd 1458,1478 Pat
  • Flawforth 1515 Wills
  • Flawfurthe 1592 ib
  • Flawford al. Flawforth 1665 Recov


The name Flawforth denoted the site of a church, destroyed in 1773, which served Ruddington and portions of several other villages. It was at a considerable distance from the nearest stream and the second element of the name must be flor, not ford, the name having the same history as Flawford supra 210–11.The early forms in -ford from Cur are a little disconcerting, but they must refer to this place as they speak of a 'church of Flag (g )eford .' On the other hand, we must remember that the forms in the Curia Regis Rolls are often somewhat eccentric.

Places in the same Parish

Early-attested site

Other OS name

Major Settlement