Early-attested site in the Parish of Chilwell
- Coppewell 1333 SR
Cop Hill (6″) is so named in 1826 (G) and may have been the home of Roger de Coppewell (1333SR ), perhaps referring to a well or spring having some copped or peaked covering. Cf. Cobbed Wells (PN Nth 276). It might also be 'hill-spring' with the noun coppe , 'top' as its first element. Coppell , the colloquial form of Copwell , would seem to have been wrongly expanded to Cop Hill .