Major Settlement in the Parish of Northallerton
- Bruntun, Bruntone 1086 DB
- Bromtune 1088 LVD50d c.1130 SD
- Moderbruntun c. 1121–8 YCh 936
- Materebrinton' 1158 (1204) ChR
- Mathrebruntona 1153–c. 1160 YCh 937
With the same forms and interpretation as Brompton (Picker) 96supra . This interpretation is rendered more certain in this case by the form from SD, who frequently gives names in their OE form.
In the 12th cent. the place is distinguished as
Moderbruntun c. 1121–8 YCh 936
Materebrinton '1158 (1204) ChR
Mathrebruntona 1153–c. 1160 YCh 937
The prefixed pers. name is probably OE Mǣðhere . The name-type is similar to that of Humburton and Thornton le Beans 180, 208supra .