Manor of Begvilles
Early-attested site in the Parish of Winterton
Manor of Begvilles, the maner callid Begviles in Wynterton 1464, the maner of Wynterton called Begvilez , the maner of Wynterton called Begvyles 1470(3x) Past. Cf. Beguills seven acres , Beguills ten acres and Beguills eight acres 1844TA . According to Blomefield (XI 195 ff.) “the ancient family of De Begevile held this lordship under the abbey of St. Bennets” and “in the church [of Winterton] were the arms of… Begevile ”. Thomas de Begevile occurs in a deed from 18 Hy3 (1233–4). John Paston appears as lord of the manor from 1460 (ib 196).