English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Burgh St Margaret

Major Settlement in the Parish of Billockby and Burgh St Margaret

Historical Forms

  • Burc, Burh 1086 DB
  • (in) Burgo 1094–5 Holme 1203 FF 1302 FA
  • (in) Burc 1094–5 Holme
  • Burch 1101–7 ib
  • Burg' 1196 FF 1275 RH
  • Flegburg 1232 ib
  • Burge 1269 Ass
  • Burgh in Fleg(g), Flegge 1271–2 Ch 1305to1369 FF 1307 Ipm 1307to1381 Cl 1316,1401–2 FA 1342 BM 1367,1378,c.1390 AD 1470 Pat
  • Burg in Fleg 1286 FF
  • Bourgh in Fleg 1362 Ipm
  • Burgflegg' 1403 NfD
  • (in) Burgo Sancte Margarete 1286 Ass
  • Sce Margarete de Burgo c.1290 Holme
  • St Margaret, Burgh in Fleg 1401 Pat
  • Burgh Sce Margarete 1535 VE
  • Burgh Marie 1428 FA
  • Burgh St Mary 1494 Pat
  • Burgh Sce Marie 1535 VE

Etymology

OE  burh 'fortified place'. It has been suggested that this place was part of the Roman system of coast defence, but there is no evidence of any Roman military fortification. The burh may simply have been a fortified manor.

There is no way of knowing whether there was ever a pers.n. attached to this name as a first el. which was later dropped, as in the case of Burgh Castle Sf, Bede's Cnobheresburg (a form not known outside Bede, HE III 19). Other Nf Burghs are Burgh-next- Aylsham (S. Erpingham Hundred), Burgh St Peter (Clavering Hundred) and Burgh Parva (Holt Hundred), beside nine other places in -burgh , -borough , in which the first el. is as a rule a pers.n.

There are two churches in the parish. St Mary was abandoned in the mid-16th cent. and is in ruins (v. Lady field 1594 under (b) infra and EAA 51: 52). St Margaret has been “all but rebuilt” (Pevsner 105).