English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

the Mill

Field in the Parish of Oadby

Historical Forms

  • the Mill 1661 Terrier 1697 Terrier 1722 Terrier
  • the mill bridge 1674 Terrier
  • the Mill brig l.17 Terrier 1693 Terrier
  • Mill fyeld 1635 Terrier
  • the Mill Feelde l.17 Terrier
  • Milnfurlong 1467×84 LTD
  • Milnehill 1467×84 LTD
  • Milnewey 1467×84 LTD
  • Mylnewey 1467×84 LTD

Etymology

the Mill 1661, 1697, 1722, the mill bridge 1674, the Mill brig l. 17, 1693 (v. brycg), Mill fyeld 1635, the Mill feild 1661, 1693, 1722, the Mill field 1674, 1697, 1700, 1703, 1708, the Mill Feelde l. 17 (v. feld; one of the great open - fields, earlier called Northfelde, infra), Milnfurlong 1467 × 84 (v. furlang), Milnehill 1467 × 84, (the) Mill hill 1661, 1708, 1722 (v. hyll), Milnewey, Mylnewey 1467 × 84, (the) Mill Way 1635, 1638 et passim to 1722 (v. weg) (v. myln; Milnehill and the mill bridge suggest that Oadby once possessed both a windmill and a water - mill)