English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Smalley 's Piece

Field in the Parish of Oadby

Historical Forms

  • John Smalleys pen 1722 Terrier
  • William Smalley 1826 Census
  • George Smalley 1829 Census
  • Harry Smalley 1881 Census


Smalley's Piece 1879 (v. pece) (cf. John Smalleys hadland 1722 (v. hēafod - land), John Smalleys pen 1722 (v. penn); note William Smalley 1826 Census and George Smalley 1829 ib, the family still living in Oadby as late as Harry Smalley 1881 ib)