Major Settlement in the Parish of Stroud
- (la) Strode 13 ADiii 1200 ChR 1221 Ass 1243 HMCv Ed1 BM 1287 Ass 1540 MinAcct
- Strod(a) 1232 Cl 1248 Ass
- Strowde 1542 LP c.1560 Surv 1698 PR
- Stroud(e) 1652 ParlSurv 1694 PR
- Strood(e) 1561 FF 1592 PR
'Marshy land overgrown with brushwood', v. strōd , and for the modern form, which is a spelling-pronunciation based on the form Strowde , cf. EPN ii, 164, Phonol. § 28. The name doubtless referred to a plot of marshy ground near the confluence of the R. Frome and Stroud Water.