English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

The Ridge

Early-attested site in the Parish of Standish

Historical Forms

  • la Rugge in Stanedis 1112 Glouc
  • Rugge 1135–54 ib
  • curiam de Rugge 12 ib
  • la Rugge juxta Standysch p.1412 GloucHist


The Ridge (lost), la Rugge in Stanedis 1112 Glouc, Rugge 1135–54 ib, curiam de Rugge 12 ib, la Rugge juxta Standysch p. 1412 GloucHist.This may be (from the reference to curia 'court') an old name of Court Hill (infra ), a low hill projecting towards Standish from the Cotswold scarp; v. hrycg 'ridge'.