Early-attested site in the Parish of Fretherne & Saul
- Fritherns Warth 1653 ib
- Saul Wharf 1777 M
Saul Warth, 'marshlands called the Warths als. the newe recovered grownds' 1652ParlSurv , Fritherns Warth 1653 ib, Saul Wharf 1777 M. The el. warth (v. waroð 'shore, beach') is commonly used of the reclaimed marshland along the tidal part of the Severn (as in Arlingham Warth, The Warth 176, 248, etc.infra ), and is used in ModE dial. of 'a flat meadow, esp. one close to a stream' (EDD s.v.).