English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Levelly Wood

Early-attested site in the Parish of Shalford


Levelly Wood (6″) is so called in 1840 (TA) and probably goes back to Lēofrices (ge )hæg , 'Leofric 's enclosure or enclosed wood.'In the neighbourhood was Lyv 'ycheslond 1369, lyuelichelond 1403, leverych (es )lond (lane ), leverich (es )lond (lane )1405–1502, levelicheslond 1408, (Gret )lyverychelond (elane )1485–1502, lyveryslondlane 1501, lytellyverlonde 1505Ct .