English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Shoebury Shop

Early-attested site in the Parish of North Shoebury

Historical Forms

  • Parsons corner 1886 Rochford


Shoebury Shop (6″) was formerly called Stocks pieces from the stocks which stood in the centre of the three-wantz way, now known as Parsons corner (1886 Rochford 919). Bought by Christopher Parsons Jun. in 1776 (ib.). For shop cf. William atte Shoppe of Tilbury (1302 Pat) and Hugh atte Schoppe of West Tilbury (1377SR ), and v. Shopland infra 200.

Places in the same Parish