English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Domsey (Grove)

Early-attested site in the Parish of Marks Tey

Historical Forms

  • Dol(e)wineshey(e), Dol(e)wyneshey(e) 1250 CottCh 1272 Ass 1276,1291 For
  • Dolewenshey, Dolkynesgroue 1323 For
  • Dolmysey wode 1462 Ct
  • Dolmes(h)ey, Dolmes(h)ey Wode 1479 1522 FF
  • Long Dolmes(h)ey, Short Dolmes(h)ey 1556 M
  • Domesey Grove 1478 Ct
  • Domsheys or Daunseys 1768 M
  • Domesday c.1840 TA


Domsey (Grove) (6″) is Dol (e )wineshey (e ), Dol (e )wyneshey (e )1250CottCh , 1272Ass , 1276, 1291For , Dolewenshey , Dolkynesgroue 1323For , Dolmysey wode 1462Ct , Dolmes (h )ey , Dolmes (h )ey Wode 1479 ib., 1522FF , Long Dolmes (h )ey , Short Dolmes (h )ey 1556 M, Domesey Grove 1478Ct , Domsheys or Daunseys 1768 M. 'Dolfin 's enclosed wood and grove,' v. (ge)hæg, graf(a). In 1291 (For ) Walter Dolfin of Easthorpe is mentioned in connection with the wood of Newenhey voc. Oldelegh . This is stated elsewhere to have been in Easthorpe where, to-day, we have Domsey Bridge, while Domsey Grove (Domesday c. 1840 TA) and Great Domsey are in Marks Tey and Little Domsey in Feering. The name referred to a large area and in 1323 this was called a forest. The name Oldelegh , 'old clearing' (v. eald , leah ), was replaced by Newenhey , 'the new enclosed wood' (v. niwe , (ge)hæg), and this was then apparently re-named from the Walter Dolfin mentioned above.

Places in the same Parish