English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Kelvedon Bridge olim Easterford

Early-attested site in the Parish of Kelvedon

Historical Forms

  • Estreford 1213 Fees
  • ponti de Estreford a.1272 Colch
  • Estreford(e)brigge 1351 Works
  • Estirfordebrigge 1378 AD
  • Esterford(e)strete 1487 MinAcct
  • Esterford(e)myll, Esterford(e) Mill 1494,1495 ADv


'The more easterly ford' from OE  ēasterra . Further west, there must have been another ford near Bridgefoot Fm. At one time there was a possibility that the name Easterford would supplant Kelvedon itself. On Norden's map (1594) only Easterforde is shown where Kelvedon stands, and in 1603 the stages on the road were reckoned “from Colchester to Esterfeeld , from Esterfeeld to Chelmsford” (EAS xvii, 11). So also in 1628 Easterford is used alone as the name of the parish (EssPR ii, 49), whilst in 1620 we have “parish of Kelvedon alias Easterford ” (HMC x, App. iv, 501).