Early-attested site in the Parish of Sutton upon Derwent
- Swalewe 1252 FF
The Swallow (6″) is Swalewe 1252 FF. The name is clearly connected with OE *swalg (cf. OE geswelg , swelh ) 'gulf, pit, whirlpool'; it is in marshy land near a field called The Dimple (cf. Dimlington supra 17). It is also possible that as the early reference is to “a mill called Swalewe ” it is a nickname for a mill, 'the devourer' or the like.