Early-attested site in the Parish of Aldbrough
- Santriburtone 1086 DB
- Erneburgh Burtona 1190 YCh1312
- Cun(e)stable Burton, Con(e)stable Burton 1246 Ass 1294 YI 1344,1585 FF
- Burton Con(e)stable c.1265 KF 1285 Ch 1407 Test
v. burhtun . The above documents from 1294 YI onwards include many references to the Constable family. Erneburgh was the widow of Gilbert de Alost (early 12th); she afterwards married Ulbert le Conestable and so brought the manor into the possession of the Constables. Cf. West Newton supra . Santri in the DB spelling is obscure.