English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Mill Cl

Field in the Parish of Winfrith Newburgh

Historical Forms

  • 1843 TA 1086 DB
  • Mill Close pasture 1621 Weld
  • the Mill Close l17 Weld


Mill Cl(Mill Close pasture 1621,the Mill Close l17, cf. terr' voc' Toukyngmylfurlang 1450, molend' aquatic'nuper Johannis Cator 1457, firma molendini aquatici d'ni(vocat' Gristmyll)1469, 1470, Mildowns or Mildons barrow 1650, Mill Down p1795, v. myln,clos(e), tucking-mill, grist-mill, dūn, beorg; there was probably a mill inWinfrith Newburgh in 1086 DB, v. VCHDo 3 65–6)