English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

claus ' voc ' Halfepeny Hay

Field in the Parish of Melbury Osmond

Historical Forms

  • claus ' voc ' Halfepeny Hay 1546 Glyn 1546 Glyn
  • Haulf Peny Haye 1563 Glyn

Etymology

claus' voc' Halfepeny Hay 1546, Haulf Peny Haye 1563(v. halfpenny, hay; in 1546 the rent of this close,associated with the rector of the church of Luckom'(v. Lewcombe and St James'sChurch in E Chelborough par. supra) is given as obolus)