English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

closes called thegreate Coninger

Field in the Parish of Melbury Osmond

Historical Forms

  • closes called thegreate Coninger 1838 TA
  • closes called the lyttell Coninger 1838 TA
  • claus ' voc ' Conye layne 1580 Ilch

Etymology

closes called thegreate Coninger, closes called the lyttell Coninger 1550, claus' voc' Conye layne 1580(v. coninger, coni, leyne, cf.Park(Style) supra)