North End Dairy Ho
Early-attested site in the Parish of Melbury Osmond
- unu' clausu' q'd vocat' le Northende del Ermitage 14 Ilch
North End Dairy Ho (ST 574084), cf. North End lease 1635 Hutch3, Northend Md 1838TA , apparently 'north quarter of the village', v. norð , ende , lǣs , cf. Drive End and Town's End infra . However an earlier instance of the name in this par. probably also belongs here: unu ' clausu ' q 'd vocat ' le Northende del Ermitage 14Ilch (52), cf. the f.n. Hermitage 1838TA situated almost a mile WNW by the Halstock-Melbury O. par bdy at ST 562082. If these forms suggest the site of an early hermitage here, it will no doubt have been associated with the priory of Montacute or of Lewes, both of which held lands in this par. at an early date (v. Hutch3 4437, 439, and cf. discussion of Melebir ' Priur under par. name supra and of Monk's Wood (6″)infra ), v. (h)ermitage and cf. Hermitage par. supra .