English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Half Hide Coppice & Half Hide Down

Early-attested site in the Parish of Farnham

Historical Forms

  • Alueyde, Halueyde 1288 Ass
  • halfhide 1618 Map
  • Half Hide c.1840 TA
  • Farneham Downe 1618 Map


Half Hide Coppice & Half Hide Down (ST 954167), named from Alueyde , Halueyde 1288Ass , halfhide 1618Map , Half Hide c.1840TA , cf. Halfe Hide end 1619CH , 'the half hide', from half and hīd , with ende 1 , cf. Halfhide in Sydling St N. par. infra .This is no doubt to be identified with one of the two manors of Fern (e )ham assessed at ½ hide in 1086 DB (VCHDo 3101, 105). Half Hide Down is Farneham Downe 1618Map .