Early-attested site in the Parish of Tamerton Foliot
- capellam S. Martini de Blakestana t.Hy2 Oliver
- Martynescombe 1291 Tax
- Martinstowe 1346 Inqaqd
- Martyn(e)stowe 1378 IpmR 1535 VE
- Martynstowe al. Maristowe 1550 Pat
- Markistowe al. Maristowe t.Eliz ChancP
v. stow .There was a chapel here dedicated to St Martin, attached to the manor of Blaxton. The reason for the later corruption is not certain but it may be due to the fact that the manor was held by Plympton Priory, the dedication of which was to St Mary.