English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.


Early-attested site in the Parish of King's Nympton

Historical Forms

  • Sleghecote 1330 SR
  • Sletchacott 1668 FF


The cottages were perhaps so called from the presence of a smithy with the blacksmith's sledge (OE  slecg ) or hammer, gh is unvoiced before following c .