English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.


Early-attested site in the Parish of Crediton and Crediton Hamlets

Historical Forms

  • Kemelford(e) 1332 Inqaqd 1598 DA
  • Kemylford(e) 1571 Wills
  • Kemelford or Keymelford or Kembleford or Kemylford 1754 Recov


If the first element is identical with that of Camel's Head supra 240, there is a possibility that it was an old name of the river Yeo or of one of its head streams. If this is the case, we have an example of river-worship as in Brent and Dee (Ekwall RN 51, 117).