English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.


Early-attested site in the Parish of Beaworthy

Historical Forms

  • Buredon 1262 FF
  • Byrydon 1330 SR
  • Byridon 1314,1343 BM


The place is on the hill crowned by Broadbury Castle and it is probable that the dun took its name from this earthwork. v. burh .