Early-attested site in the Parish of Clifton and Compton
- Le Hongindebrugge 1296 RadCh
- Hongyndebrugge 1330 Ass 1330 QW
- Hongyngbryge 1417 MinAcct
- Hangynge Bridge 1568 Lanc
- Hankinbridge 1607 MinAcct
- hanging Bridge 1607 DbAns
Hanging Bridge (6″), the bridge “hanging ” (sic) e. 13th DbCh, Le Hongindebrugge 1296 RadCh, Hongyndebrugge 1330Ass , 1330 QW, Hongyngbryge 1417MinAcct , Hangynge Bridge 1568 Lanc, Hankinbridge 1607MinAcct , hanging Bridge 1607 DbAns v. It is possible that this is to be interpreted quite literally as 'hanging bridge', that is some kind of suspension bridge, but the land on the St side of the R. Dove is very steep, so that it may well be 'bridge by sloping ground', v. hangende , brycg .