Early-attested site in the Parish of Whitehaven
- Hothwait c.1140 StB
- Bra(c)kenthwaite 1690 CWiii 1758 LowtherW
'Hill clearing,' v. hōh , þveit , and cf. supra 434. It is identical in situation with Brackenthwaite (Bra (c )kenthwaite 1690 CW iii, 1758LowtherW ), the site of which is now occupied by the streets opposite Bransty railway station (StB 41 n.). For this latter name v. braken , þveit .