Early-attested site in the Parish of Cumwhitton
- Fishgarth holme 1589 ExchKR 1626 Boothby
- Fitsgarthholm 1603 Gilsland
- Fisgaerthholme 1603 Map
This is clearly an anglicising of OScand fiskigarðr , 'enclosure for catching or, as commonly in Iceland, for drying fish.' Mack (102 ff.) notes Fish Garth 1475, referring to a similar fishery in the Esk. Cf. Fistard (PN IOMan 34) and Fishguard (NCPNW 46–7). v. holmr .