Early-attested site in the Parish of Cockermouth
- Ourebyfeld 1260 Rental
- Urebyfeld 1399 IpmR
- Ureby feilde 1578 Cocker
- Upperby Field 1757 ib
- Ureby Field 1809,1827 ib
- Upperby Field otherwise Radcliff Field 1812 ib
There was more than one field of this name, but all were in the east end of Cockermouth, adjoining or near Waste Lane. In 1757 (Cocker ) Richard Radcliffe became customary tenant of these fields. The forms clearly represent a lost village-name ending in bȳ. The first element is uncertain, but may be the ON personal name Úri . Professor Ekwall prefers OE uferra , 'upper', which may have replaced ON øfri or efri .