English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.


Parish in the County of Cumberland


Part of Harrington was transferred to the borough of Workington (infra 454, where its name is preserved in one of the municipal wards), and the remainder was re-named Lowca, in 1934.

Major Settlements